Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My doctrinal statement... part 1, The Bible

Over the next few weeks I will be taking classes through the School of Christian Studies through the West Virginia Baptist Convention. As a side note, I only have a few classes to finish, and should be able to graduate this October at our convention.

The classes I am taking the next 12 weeks is Christian Doctrine. I have already had this class but am auditing it. Some other members in our church are taking classes also for the first time...

"Why?" you may ask would you want to take the class over... Well, I as a pastor need spiritually fed, and I crave this level of spiritual education, and God works through these classes to feed me. I also love the interaction between students in the classes.

One of the requirements that I had to meet when I took this class was to write a doctrinal statement...

This is also related to the paper I had to prepare in order to be ordained.
Preparing this document was not an easy task.. I took it very seriously, and weighed each word while preparing it. The other requirement was to make sure every statement I made was backed up by scripture. So footnotes had to be included...


So, for the next few posts, I am laying out my doctrinal statement...
Apparently the reference numbers to the footnotes will not show up when I cut and paste it here, But if you research the scriptures below each section, you will soon be able to connect them to the statements in the paragraph...

The first statement has to do with the Bible...

The Bible:

Men, divinely inspired, penned the Holy Bible . It is infallible and inerrant in communicating the truth God wants humanity to know . Every word in the originals was exactly what God had intended to share with humanity . It is an eternal gift from God to us, so that we may know the way of salvation . It is the ultimate standard by which all human conduct and doctrines should be measured . Even though inspiration and strict inerrancy can only be claimed by the original manuscripts , we can rest assured that God, through his divine preservation , has given us copies and translations that are inerrant and inspired in a derivative sense, in that they accurately reflect the originals . Therefore the translations and copies have the same authority as the originals.

2 Peter 1:19-21
2 Timothy 3:16-17, John 17:17
Matthew 5:18
2 Timothy 3:15
Proverbs 30:5,6
2 Timothy 3:16-17; Proverbs 30:5-6; 2 Peter 1:21
Matthew 24:35 ; John 10:35
Psalms 119:89; 2 Timothy 3:16,17; Mark 13:31

No comments: